Top 10 Best Spray Paint for Rims: Paints for Glossy Rim Finishes
If you're tired of your rims old look and would like to upgrade it, you must opt for the best spray paint for rims.
Using spray paints can give your entire vehicle a new beautiful appearance, but with the various options in the market, it can be challenging to rightfully decide. Thankfully, this review will round up the best spray options that will suit your car.
What You Should Know
Opting for the best spray paint for your rims will not only boost the rims and vehicle's look but protect the wheels from scratches and wear. Check out some of their essential features.
Key Features of the Rust-Oleum 248927 Automotive High-Performance Wheel Spray Paint
- Brand: Rust-Oleum
- Model: 248927 Automotive High-Performance Wheel Spray Paint
- Color: Silver
- Suitable Wheel Type: Aluminum, Steel.
Find out more about this product here.
Key Features of the Dupli-Color BNS0595-6 PK Platinum Metallic Nissan Perfect Match Automotive Paint
- Brand: Dupli-Color
- Model: BNS0595-6 PK Platinum Metallic Nissan Perfect Match Automotive Paint
- Color: Platinum
- Suitable Wheel Type: Steel
Find out more about this product here.
Key Features of the Dupli-Color HWP104 Black High-Performance Wheel Paint
- Brand: Dupli-Color
- Model: HWP104 Black High-Performance Wheel Paint
- Color: Black
- Suitable Wheel Type: Aluminum, steel, and plastic wheels.
Find out more about this product here.
Key Features of the VHT SP187 Gloss Black Wheel Paint Can
- Brand: VHT
- Model: SP187 Gloss Black Wheel Paint Can
- Color: Gloss Black
- Suitable Wheel Type: Aluminum, Steel, Wheel Covers, and Center Caps.
Check out other amazing features here.
Key Features of the VHT SP183 Satin Black Wheel Paint Can
- Brand: VHT
- Model: SP183 Satin Black Wheel Paint Can
- Color: Satin Black
- Suitable Wheel Type: Aluminum, Steel.
Find out more about this product here.
Key Features of the Rust-Oleum 248928 Automotive High-Performance Wheel Spray Paint
- Brand: Rust-Oleum
- Model: 248928 Automotive High-Performance Wheel Spray Paint
- Color: Matte Black
- Suitable Wheel Type: Aluminum, Steel Wheels.
See more about this product on this website.
Key Features of the Dupli-Color - EBTY1687-6pk BTY1618 Metallic Barcelona Red Auto Spray Paint
- Brand: Dupli-Color
- Model: EBTY1687-6pk BTY1618 Metallic Barcelona Red Auto Spray Paint
- Color: Barcelona Red
- Suitable Wheel Type: Alloy rims
Find out more about this product here.
Key Features of the Performix 11350 Black Sapphire Plasti Dip Luxury Metal
- Brand: Plasti Dip
- Model: 11350 Black Sapphire Plasti Dip Luxury
- Color: Black Sapphire
- Suitable Wheel Type: All metals and plastics
Find out more about this product here.
Key Features of the Plasti Dip Performix (11217-6-6PK) Green Camo Spray
- Brand: Plasti Dip
- Model: Performix (11217-6-6PK) Green Camo Spray
- Color: Green Camo
- Suitable Wheel Type: All metal rims.
See more features here.
Key Features of the Dupli-Color - HW104-6 PK Black Wheel Coating
- Brand: Dupli-Color
- Model: HW104-6 PK Black Wheel Coating
- Color: Satin Black
- Suitable Wheel Type: All metal rims
Find out more about this product here.
Top Pick Section
Best Overall Spray Paint - Rust-Oleum 248927 Automotive High-Performance Wheel Spray Paint
This Rust-Oleum improves the appearance of the rims by providing rust-free and long-lasting finishes.
Best Spray Paint for Ease of Use - Dupli-Color BNS0595-6 PK Platinum Metallic Nissan Perfect Match Automotive Paint
Dupli-Color BNS0595-6 Paint features an easy to spray nozzle that makes using the paint convenient.
Best for Durable Finishes - Dupli-Color HWP104 Black High-Performance Wheel Paint
This wheel paint is resistant to scratches and dents, leaving you with spotless rims.
Best for High-Heat Coating - VHT SP187 Gloss Black Wheel Paint Can
VHT SP187 features high-resistance heat ability that's capable of handling extreme weather conditions.
Best Spray Paint for Aluminum - VHT SP183 Satin Black Wheel Paint Can
This can coats aluminum wheels excellently while creating nice satin finishes.
Best for Steel Rims - Rust-Oleum 248928 Automotive High-Performance Wheel Spray Paint
Rust-Oleum 248928 spray paint offers protective finishes for steel rims.
Best Paint Formula for Drying - Dupli-Color - EBTY1687-6pk BTY1618 Metallic Barcelona Red Auto Spray Paint
This red auto spray paint coats all rim types and dries rapidly after application.
Reviews of the Best Spray Paint for Rims
1. Rust-Oleum 248927 Automotive High-Performance Wheel Spray Paint
Rust-Oleum Automotive High-Performance Wheel Spray Paint is the ideal paint that will enhance the appearance and color of your automobile. It creates a nice and rust-free finish that you would love eventually.
This wheel spray paint also leaves a long-lasting finish. It features a convenient spray nozzle that discharges the right quantity of paint that you need, minimizing paint overspray. This makes spraying the paint from the can straightforward.
Whether your rims are aluminum, steel, or plastic hubcaps, this rust preventive paint will give you utmost satisfaction. When dry, the finish appears glossy, giving your wheels a brand new look.
The good thing about this product is that it dries quite fast but not to the point that it starts to flake after a while. The paint self-levels automatically, and you can recoat as many times as you wish. Plus, it has good coverage, as the content covers up to 8 sq. ft. at once when sprayed.
My team also loves its durability. Apart from creating long-lasting finishes, it's scratch-resistant with no dents. It's also resistant to weather, so you don't have to worry about driving on snowy, dry, or muddy roads at least for a year.
Moreover, the paint's price is not over the top. For such a good product, it should cost more, but it's one of the most affordable.
However, you need the ideal primer when using this paint as it's not easily compatible. With the right primer, you'll achieve an amazing silver finish.
2. Dupli-Color BNS0595-6 PK Platinum Metallic Nissan Perfect Match Automotive Paint
If you're looking to rejuvenate your wheels but don't know the ideal paint to use, you should try the Dupli-Color BNS0595-6 PK Platinum Metallic Nissan Perfect Match Automotive Paint.
The premium-quality paint is an easy-to-use option that guarantees delightful finishes. The EZ Touch 360_ spray nozzle is great, and my team is certain that you won't have any spraying issues with this can of paint. However, the nozzle can clog easily if you don't clean the tip after use.
Additionally, it sprays uniformly and discharges the right amount of paint at a time. It prevents over-spraying, ensuring that you use the can for subsequent painting tasks. It also offers good coverage and levels out excellently.
The impressive thing about the spray paint is it gives you the best match and finish of the original factory color, thanks to the acrylic lacquer aerosol chemical component. If you are looking for a paint that will go with the original color of the vehicle, yet enhance it, this is the ideal option. All you have to do is spray the paint over the factory color.
It dries quite rapidly as well. Compared to regular paints, the Dupli-Color paint dries between thirty minutes to an hour. To get a glossy finish, you need two coats of this paint and three coats of clear coat.
Thanks to the EZ Touch 360_ spray nozzles, the paint can last long. However, when the can is almost running low in the paint, you should toss it away. The droplets coming out will create rough textures on the rim.
3. Dupli-Color HWP104 Black High-Performance Wheel Paint
For high-gloss and long-lasting finishes, my team recommends the Dupli-Color HWP104 Black High-Performance Wheel Paint. The wheel paint will restore the original appearance of your worn-out rims.
This wheel paint is super durable, as it offers maximum resistance against peeling, flaking, heat, brake dust, and cracking. Because of this, the lifespan of the wheels greatly improves. Plus, your rims and the vehicle get an awesome look.
Like most Dupli-Color paints, this paint ensures that your wheels get the best color match as the factory finish, thanks to the acrylic enamel component. You can strengthen the original wheel appearance with this super coating.
If the rims are aluminum, plastic, or steel, this wheel paint will deliver an exquisite metallic touch, as it contains chemical solvents that adhere to their surfaces. The good thing about the paint is it's easy to use. DIYers will find using this paint not only straightforward but exciting.
It also has a fast-drying capability. In one hour, you can get the entire spray painting process done, saving you ample time for other important tasks.
Sometimes, the paint comes out unevenly with lots of bubbles, especially if it's nearly finished the can. Once this happens, my team advises that you toss the can away. For first-time use, remember to shake the can properly so that the paint can come out smoothly and evenly.
4. VHT SP187 Gloss Black Wheel Paint Can
VHT paint products are popularly known for their high heat applications. The VHT SP187 Gloss Black Wheel Paint Can is the ideal spray paint that will offer maximum protection against rust and fading.
Whether you are in the summer, winter, or fall, this paint can maintain its shiny and glossy appearance, thanks to its high heat resistive ability. It minimizes oxidation, chipping, brake dust, and other things that can damage the rims' appearance .
VHT SP187 Gloss Black Wheel Paint is a polyurethane paint that's formulated for steel and aluminum wheels that are exposed to extreme temperatures up to 900 degrees. Once used to paint your truck's or car's rims, be rest assured that it won't flake or peel, regardless of the high heat levels.
Speaking of use, my team was impressed with how easy it was to spray from the paint can. The nozzle didn't give any issue during spraying. The best part is the paint came out evenly and covered a wide area, so you don't need to use many cans to get a professional finish.
The finish is also long-lasting. If applied correctly, the finish will remain exquisite and beautiful for months before spraying new paints. Since the nozzle works great, you won't have to overspray.
However, the spray nozzle can be a bit finicky when the can is near the finish point. My team advises that you keep the can vertically at this point to maintain its consistent paint quality.
Above all, the price is affordable.
5. VHT SP183 Satin Black Wheel Paint Can
If your rims are aluminum, you should look no further than the VHT SP183 Satin Black Wheel Paint Can. This product is specifically made to give aluminum wheels the best protective finishes.
The product can withstand heat up to 900 degrees, making it ideal for automobiles like sports cars and trucks that are used heavily. Thanks to this high heat resistance, your wheels are well-protected from UV radiation and brake dust - two things that reduce the lifespan and performance of rim paints.
In terms of durability, this spray paint product is top quality. It creates long-lasting finishes in light coats and protects the wheel from fading. This means your rims get to stay beautiful for an extended period.
To coat effectively with this product and get the desired color, you'll need a primer and a clear coat. The method of preparation and use is explained in subsequent guides in this review.
This product is easy to use and dries super fast. What makes it even more outstanding is that it doesn't need curing before you can showcase your new rims. All you need is to allow the coats to dry overnight, and you are good to go.
Although it produces great satin finishes, the paint can flake off if the application process is faulty at some point. Plus, the spray nozzle can be a bit of work to use if the can is near finishing.
6. Rust-Oleum 248928 Automotive High-Performance Wheel Spray Paint
Rust-Oleum 248928 Automotive High-Performance Wheel is another outstanding spray paint from the brand's great collections. This excellent wheel paint enhances the color of your automobile's rims while keeping them rust-free.
Whether your rims are aluminum, steel, or plastic, this oil-based formula is ideal for providing fine finishes. The durability is exceptional, and regardless of the road terrain or the weather, your wheels will remain scratch-free.
Not only that, the paint prevents corrosion and keeps the original look of the rims intact, thanks to the Stops Rust Formula. The outstanding weather-resistant finish it offers is one of the things my team loves about the paint.
Our team also loves the fast-drying feature. It dries to touch in less than 10 minutes. Plus, it covers a wide area when sprayed. Thanks to the large coverage, you don't need to purchase several cans to coat your rims.
Handling the spray paint can is straightforward, as the Any-Angle Spray nozzle offers an even, depth finish to minimize overspray. Even when you overspray, the paint levels smoothly. You only need little quantity of paint to get the glossy finish.
Although this product has incredible features, you can own it at an affordable price.
7. Dupli-Color - EBTY1687-6pk BTY1618 Metallic Barcelona Red Auto Spray Paint
This automotive spray paint is a high-quality spray paint that's perfect for adding beautiful finishes to your vehicle's rims. Made with acrylic lacquer aerosol formula, this spray paint duplicates the original Toyota colors, providing the exact match.
Dupli-Color Perfect Match Premium Automotive Paint is super straightforward to use. Thankfully, the EZ Touch 360-degree nozzle is adjustable and offers a wide range of spraying patterns for the best finish. Like most Dupli-Color spray paints, you can apply this over factory paint and the color won't be affected.
It sprays evenly and lays a professional, smooth finish. With the EZ Touch 360 degree nozzle, my team is certain that you won't overspray, as you can switch to different spraying patterns.
Although this spray paint is specially formulated to match original factory finishes, you can also apply it on bare rims. However, you must use the right primer and paint at the right temperature to get the desired color.
The spray paint guarantees a durable finish. Plus, it offers good protection against fading and rust. Thanks to the paint’s fast-drying formula, you don't have to spend all day refinishing your rims.
8. Performix 11350 Black Sapphire Plasti Dip Luxury Metal
Plasti Dip Luxury Metal is a superb spray paint that will provide the finish that you would love. This spray paint is loaded with features that will help boost the appearance of your rims.
Plasti Dip is a famous brand for manufacturing various paints that offer high-quality painting solutions for automobiles. This spray paint eliminates flakes and rust from your rims. And with its inbuilt metallic formula, this spray paint offers a glossy and excellent satin finish.
The versatile spray paint is ideal for rubber, plastic, and several other rims. It creates a durable finish that's resistant to corrosion, moisture, abrasion, and extreme heat.
Due to its user-friendly appearance, drivers who are new to painting can paint their vehicles’ rims successfully. It's handy and formulated for increased adhesion.
That's not all, you can apply the paint on different rims. It coats well and durably so you may not have to apply so many coats to get the glossy finish. If you wish to strip the paint off the rims, it's straightforward to do.
9. Plasti Dip Performix (11217-6-6PK) Green Camo Spray
If you crave green camo-colored rims, you should consider getting this spray paint.
Plasti Dip Performix Green Camo Spray has an outstanding color that creates a beautiful effect as your rims rotate. The good thing about this product is that it's quite straightforward to use. If you've never painted before, this paint is made for you.
What's even more straightforward is that you can remove the paint if you don't like it, which makes it great. The paint has great adhesion capability, although you need to coat in multiple light coats to achieve a fantastic result. My team and I used this paint on a motorcycle rim, and we loved the exquisite finish it produced.
Apart from painting your rims, you can also use spray paint for other areas of the automobile. You can use it to change the interior of your vehicle, dim your SUV and sedans. Its versatility is top-notch, and one of the things my team admire about this product.
It has great coverage, limiting the number of spray cans you can use at once for your project. Plus, it sprays in a smooth pattern and evenly instead of clumps.
This product isn't great for heavy trucks’ and cars’ rims because it can crack in extreme conditions, especially when used frequently. You may have to opt for other options reviewed here if you want a spray paint for that.
10. Dupli-Color - HW104-6 PK Black Wheel Coating
The Dupli-Color HW104-6 PK is a high-gloss finish paint that will enhance the beauty of your rims. With its black satin color, this paint offers the kind of finish that will match your style.
The wheel paint is superbly durable. It's resistant to peeling, flaking, and cracking while improving the rim’s lifespan. Additionally, this all-in-one formula features an acrylic enamel component that maintains the wheel’s original appearance.
The paint also dries fast and simple to use. You can paint your rims within an hour in any location, provided the environment is well-ventilated, and you have all the necessary tools.
This spray paint is best for alloy wheels. Although, you can also use it for aluminum, steel, and plastic wheels. Depending on the rim metal, you need to ensure that the surface is prepped before applying the paint.
You also need to apply a clear coat for the perfect reflective finish. Without adequate prepping, you may not achieve the type of metallic finish that you want.
If you don't want to spend more than a few thousand on purchasing new wheels for your vehicle, my team suggests you have this.
Buying Guide of Spray Paint for Rims
It can get complicated when you decide to purchase spray paint from the store. Many drivers are unaware of the chemical components in spray paints, and because of this, they rarely know which paint is best for their vehicle's rims.
With the several options in the market, you should be more meticulous when deciding what to buy. To avoid buying the wrong paint, you should consider the following factors.
This is the first factor you should consider when choosing spray paints for your rims. Spray paints are available in several common and unusual colors, namely white, silver, black, red, etc.
While you're at liberty to choose your preferred color, you must select the color that matches your car's look. It doesn't have to be the same color as your vehicle's or the best color. It should be the one that will boost the automobile's appearance and not dull it.
You wouldn't want to buy paint that will wear off after a week or two. Therefore, you need highly durable spray paint. The paint must be corrosion-free, weather-resistant, heat-resistant, and have UV inhibitors. Buying durable spray paints is time-saving and will cut down on spending in the long run.
Just like as you can find several spray paints, different finishes are also available. You can find spray paints with satin, matte, semi-gloss, and high-gloss finishes. Matte finishes provide flattering shine, gloss finishes appear shinier, while satin comes in between matte and gloss.
Although these finishes are excellent in their ways, you must choose what goes best with the vehicle's color, and not necessarily according to your preference.
The worst thing that can happen to you while giving your rims a decent look is to wait for hours for it to dry. This will not only leave you furious but affect your other vital schedules.
When buying, you should select the one that comes with fast drying and curing time. Most paints dry in less than an hour but cure completely in 24 hours. Others require far less time to dry but more time to cure, depending on heat levels.
Rim and Wheel Materials
The type of metal the rims and wheel are made of affects the type of paint you should use. Paints that are suitable for alloy wheels may not work for steel rims because both rims differ in weight.
Alloy rims are usually a mixture of light metals, such as aluminum, nickel, magnesium, etc. This means that you need a light spray paints for them. Steel rims, on the other hand, require a special type of heavy paint.
Ease of Use
You would want to get the best spray from the can, so you should consider getting paints that make spraying convenient. It means you should opt for cans of paint with good spray nozzles and a slick spray mechanism.
Many buyers don't consider the brand when buying a product. The fact remains that the brand is a crucial factor that determines a product’s quality. My team recommends that you buy the best spray paint for rims from trusted brands, as they manufacture the highest quality.
Top Spray Paint Brands for Rims and Wheels
In every industry, there are brands that have stood the test of time and won the hearts of millions of consumers.
In the automotive industry, there are top brands that are famous for producing high-quality spray paints for rims. Below are some of them.
Rust-Oleum is one of the best spray paint brands available. The brand was founded in 1921 by Captain Robert Ferguson, who wanted to prevent his ship from rusting. After several years of experiment, he was finally able to create a rust preventative paint.
Rust-Oleum is based in Vernon Hills, and they have fantastic color options suitable for steel wheels and alloy rims.
Sherwin-Williams is another top brand for making the best spray paints for rims, although it's not popular amongst drivers. Sherwin-Williams, based in Cleveland, owns subsidiaries like the popular VHT (Very High Temperature), Valspar, Dupli-Color, and PlastiKote.
VHT wheel paints offer your rims and wheels the highest protective coating. They are designed to withstand extreme heat temperatures, making them the ideal paints for trucks and sports cars.
Dupli-Color also does well in various weather conditions. The paints are sturdy and will prevent your rims from getting scratched and worn out easily.
Valspar and PlastiKote are also durable finishes and prevents rust to a great deal. They also resist scratches and enhance the gloss appearance of the rims even on bad roads and weather conditions.
Plasti Dip Spray Paints are best known for their glossy appearance and durable finishes. Plus, they come at affordable prices. They are great options for alloy rims.
What Kind of Paint to Use on Car Rims?
The car rims are usually the first set of things that attracts a passerby. No matter how old the vehicle is, a well-painted car rim can turn a basic class vehicle into a fancy model. But the issue is what kind of paint can use on your car rims?
Your choice of spray paint color depends on the color of your automobile. However, some colors go with almost all vehicle colors. These colors are called universal colors, and you can choose them if you are confused about the best color to go with your vehicle, e.g, black and silver.
Before you go choosing the paint, you need to confirm if the rims of your vehicle are suitable for painting. Are the rims chrome, steel, aluminum, or alloy? There are spray paints formulated for each type of wheel, so you must identify the type of your vehicle's rims to achieve the best painting result.
Plasti Dip spray paints are best for chrome and alloy wheels. Some Rust-Oleum spray paints are also good for chrome and alloy wheels. Remember to check the review section to select your best pick.
Rust-Oleum and VHT (Very High Temperature) spray paints are great options for steel and aluminum wheels because of their high heat resistance abilities. Dupli-Color is also another durable option that will offer advanced wheels protection and give that ideal finish. Any paint that works for light metals and alloy wheels will certainly work for aluminum wheels.
When in the market for spray paints, ensure that you read the label to know if you're picking up the ideal paint for your rims. Otherwise, your wheels won't get the best protection and finish that you want.
What Kind of Paint to Use on Truck Rims?
Just like car rims, some spray paints are developed with nice features for use on truck rims. However, each type may not be suitable for all truck rims due to the metals used in constructing each wheel. Therefore, you must identify the metal used in making your vehicle's rim before selecting the best paint.
Buying regular paints may just leave your rims in a much worse state than before. They leave swirl marks and stains that will make your rims and your vehicle less appreciative. My team advises against buying this type of usual paint as they have many drawbacks.
Instead, you should opt for custom-built paints. These paints will give you consistent results and the perfect finish. They come in various colors like red, black, silver, and finishes like satin, matte, gloss, semi-gloss, etc.
Truck rims can be aluminum, chrome, steel, and alloy. To select the ideal paint, you must determine the type of metal your rim is made of. You should choose a paint that's specifically designed for the rim. You can find several spray paints for truck rims in the review section of this article.
How to Refinish Wheels
Wheels and rims are essential parts that add beauty to a car. However, they can easily be damaged due to their heavy use. Getting new wheels can be expensive, which makes refinishing them a better option.
Refinishing wheels is more cost-effective. Plus, it's less time-consuming. You can refinish your wheels in less than an hour, provided that you have all the materials and tools ready.
To refinish wheels, you need;
- A newspaper or silicone gloss
- Clean rag or dry cloth
- Paint thinner
- Soapy water
- 220-grit and 320-grit sandpaper
- Primer, base paint, and clear coat.
Below are the steps to refinish wheels.
- Separate the wheels from the tires. Take your vehicle to a mechanic shop to get it done. You can also refinish wheels with them on. All you need to do is mask the tires with silicone gloss or newspaper to prevent paints from affecting the tires and other vehicle areas.
- Using a clean rag, wipe the wheels with paint thinner to remove any existing paint. Allow the paint thinner to dissolve adequately.
- Once dissolved, clean the wheel with soapy water and wipe dry with a clean cloth. You should also take your time to wipe clean any grease or dirt on the rim.
- Check for holes or scratches on the wheels. If there's one, fill it with putty.
- Using 220-grit sandpaper, sand the wheel, including the areas where you applied the putty for a smooth appearance. Sand sufficiently and finish with 400-grit sandpaper.
- Spray two coats of primer on the wheel. Don't spray the parts that are covered by the tire.
- Allow the primer to soak in. Once you have made sure of this, sand the wheel with extra-fine 320-grit sandpaper for a smooth appearance.
- Wipe the wheel clean again with a rag.
- Spray the first coat of your chosen base paint. Ensure you have the ideal paint for the rim. The paint should get to every inch of the wheel, starting from the inside and finally, the outside.
- Spray perpendicularly to the targeted surface and maintain spraying distance, not exceeding 15 inches.
- Avoid spraying excessively and too thin. However, if you can't achieve the desired overall finish, you can apply two to three extra coats. Allow drying for three to five minutes.
- Apply a layer of clear coat, using the same perpendicular and distance spraying method. Spray more layers to attain the perfect finish.
- Congratulations! You have just given your rims a new look.
How to Spray Paint Motorcycle Rims
If you have been asking if it's possible to spray paint motorcycle rims, the answer is yes. Like car and truck rims, you can also paint motorcycle rims to enhance their looks.
Rims are crucial parts of a motorcycle. Motorcyclists pay close attention to their rims because they can customize them as they deem fit to suit their styles. You can use various shades of color paints available to get the best design.
Customizing your motorcycle rims is no cakewalk. If you have been trying to paint the rims but failed several times, here's a guide on how to do that successfully.
To paint motorcycle rims, you need to have the ideal tools ready to make the painting process convenient. You also need to follow the right procedures to avoid complicated results.
- Nail polish remover
- Rag or dry cloth
- Aircraft stripper
- Mineral spirits
- Painter's tape
- WET sandpaper (1000, 1500, and 2000)
- Primer, base paint, and clear coat
Below is how to paint a motorcycle rim.
- Take off any sticker on the rim. The sticker might leave some stains behind, which may warrant using a nail polish remover to take them off. Pour some content of a nail polish remover on a dry cloth and use it to wipe off the remains. It should come out in a lump.
- Remove the rim and set it aside. At this point, you should get all your supplies ready and kept within your reach.
- With a paintbrush, apply an aircraft stripper on the rim to remove existing paints and other previous finishes. Allow the solution to soak in.
- Use a rag or dry cloth, soaked in mineral spirits to remove the loosened paint. If there are other parts with the existing paint, pour some content of the stripper on that area and wipe the paints off when dry.
- Mask the area you don't want to paint with painter's tape.
- Spray a thin coat of primer paint on the rim's surface. Allow drying before sanding it with a WET 1000 grip sandpaper.
- You can spray another thin coat of primer coat and allow drying. Then sand again with the extra-fine sandpaper.
- Spray the colored paint on the entire rim's area. Allow drying and sand lightly with a WET 1500 grip sandpaper to remove bubbles and smoothen the areas.
- Apply the second coat of the same paint all around the rim. Allow drying and sand with a WET 1500 grip sandpaper to smoothen the paint.
- Finally, apply the clear coat. Allow the rim to dry and thereafter, sand with a WET 2000 sandpaper.
- Repeat the same process in step 10 two more times for perfect finishes.
- Remove the painter's tape and replace the rim.
How to Paint Your Car Wheels
As a first-timer, painting your car wheel may seem difficult at first, but once you get used to the procedure, it becomes easy. You just have to know what is required to get an accurate result. Below is what you need to paint your car wheels.
A primer - A primer, also known as the undercoat is the first coat that's usually applied on the metal. It's used to lay the foundation for other coats, for better adherence, and to prevent flaking.
Base paint - Base paint is the spray paint can itself. It's used after the primer. It's responsible for the shiny appearance of the rim.
Clear paint - Clear coats are used to enhance the shine of the rims. Additionally, it adds further protection to the rims and base coat by decreasing UV light and oxidization.
- Sandpaper (120-grit or 180-grit).
- Silicone gloss, tape, or newspaper.
- Wheel cleaner.
- Pressure washer.
Now, to the steps.
- Prep the wheels thoroughly for cleaning. Before you do that, mask the tires and other areas with silicone gloss or newspaper to prevent them from being affected by the paint.
- If there’s any existing paint on the rim, apply a wheel cleaner, paint remover, or rubbing alcohol on the rims. Allow it to sit for five minutes and spray it with a pressure washer to take them off.
- Rough up the wheel with 180-grit sandpaper to eliminate rough spots and rusts that may have accumulated. Smoothen with 400-grit sandpaper sufficiently.
- Rinse the wheel with a pressure washer.
- Apply the first coat, also known as the prime coat. Start by painting the large crevices. Then move to the exposed parts of the rim.
- Apply the base coat once the primer is dry. To avoid making the wrong base paint choice, you have to identify which metal the wheels are. If the wheels are alloy, you would want semi-gloss spray paint. Here, my team recommends Rust-Oleum.
- For chrome wheels, my team recommends Plasti Dip paints because they offer additional protection against corrosion. Steel wheels need heavy spray paints like PlastiKote to give them a long-lasting finish.
- Don't spray too close to the surface. Maintain a distance of about five meters away from the targeted area.
- Allow the second coat to dry before adding the clear coat. Avoid spraying excessively. Else, the paint might flake.
- Allow drying and you are done.
- Reinstall the tires. We advise that you make use of the opportunity to check the tires during the reinstallation process.
Tips for Spray Painting Rims
The key to spray painting rims perfectly is adequate preparation. Below are the tips to spray painting rims to achieve the best outcome.
- Have all the necessary materials ready. This includes gathering materials like the rim cleaner, rubbing alcohol or any other paint remover, sandpaper, rags, primer, clear coat, and spray paint.
- Choose a suitable location for the spray painting job. The area must be well-ventilated with low humidity and possibly dry weather. Taking this step is to ensure that the paint dries properly after the job is done.
- Wear your safety gears. These paints are loaded with various chemicals that can be dangerous to human health. This is why you need to take safety precautions. You must wear safety equipment like goggles, masks, and gloves for adequate protection before you start painting.
- Remove the wheel from the vehicle, but before you do that, check if your automobile is well-supported. This is necessary if you want to remove more than one wheel at a time. Secure the tires and the valve stem with old newspaper, silicone gloss, or tape.
- Clean the wheel with soapy water. Using soapy water will remove the grease around the rims, ensuring that they are oil-free and ready for the new paint application. Use the rag to clean the grease.
- Remove the old paint if there's some on the rims. You can do that by using the paint remover. If there seems to be rust on the surface, use 80-grit or 120-grit sandpaper to get them off. Your choice of sandpaper must be according to the state of the rust.
- Ensure the rim's surface is smooth and level. You can use sandpaper or a metal wire brush to level the surface. By leveling, my team means removing all the scratches and rough areas on the rim.
- Apply the primer on the rim. The primer will create a smooth surface for the next step and prevent rust. Apply the first coat, wait for at least three minutes before applying the next one. You need at least three coats to perfectly prime the rim. After the final coat, wait for at least twenty minutes before the next step.
- Spray the paint. The paint should be some meters away from the rim's surface. My team advises that you go through the manufacturer's instructions to know the number of coats you need to apply. Instructions differ from brand to brand.
- After application, allow the surface to dry properly. If you want, you can apply your preferred finish like gloss, satin, matte, etc.
- Once the paint is dry, you need to apply a clear coat to seal the paint. The clear coat also adds a further gloss finish to the rims. After applying the clear coat, wait for twenty to thirty minutes for it to dry on the rim.
- Your rim will finally be in the new paint.
Tips on How to Paint Rims Good
To get the best painting result and make your rims shine perfectly, here are some painting tips that you must follow;
- Make sure you have all the painting components you need for the job, such as the primer, sandpaper, paint, metal brush, clear coat, rag, and safety equipment.
- Carefully read all the instructions as stipulated on the can's label. This is the only way to know the kind of chemicals that each paint can contain. It will leave you better prepared and informed on how to safeguard yourself and paint successfully.
- Protecting the eyes is of utmost importance. Use glasses specifically designed for this type of painting. You can ask an expert mechanic for recommendations.
- To ensure that you have a flawless painting outcome, you mustn't miss the cleaning step. Grease and dirt can affect the result of your painting. This only means that you'll have to do the painting all over again.
- If you are painting for the first time, my team recommends that you try painting on a different surface to know the best approach to painting. You can also try out different paint cans to see which color will suit your rims and the vehicle in general.
- Spray approximately five meters away from the surface in a precise manner. Spray side-to-side continuously.
- Never be in a hurry to drive off to some important place if the rims aren't properly dried. The paint might pick up some dirt and stains from the road that could ruin the rim. Wait until it's dry perfectly before going anywhere.
- Ensure that you are painting in the ideal weather condition. This means that you shouldn't start painting if the weather conditions aren't favorable. Avoid painting in high humidity or rain, as they can cause a longer drying time.
- If you are considering changing the look of your rims sooner, my team recommends that you opt for Plasti Dip paints.
How to Remove Spray Paint from Rims and Wheels
If the current look of your rims is no longer appealing, you may need to remove the spray paint and put on a new one. My team advises against spraying paint on existing paints because the process will only make the rims look despicable. Not to mention that you'll regret spending your money unproductively.
Removing paint from rims and wheels is a simple procedure, but varies according to the type of paint used. However, the steps below can remove most paint types successfully.
- Firstly, my team recommends that you remove the rims from the tires. This will make it more convenient for you to spray. Besides, it will prevent the spray chemicals from affecting other parts of the vehicle and the brake rotors. If you can't remove the rims, mask off the area with a plastic bag.
- Get your corrosive chemical stripper ready. However, you need to ensure that the rim is dry. Else, the chemical remover will not work effectively.
- Like earlier said, the chemical is corrosive, meaning it can cause some serious skin burns if it accidentally touches your hand. Not only that, the chemical can affect our respiratory system, so to avoid exposing yourself to it, make sure you wear respirators or N95 masks, glasses, gloves, and overalls for proper protection.
- Spray the chemical paint remover all around the rim. Using a chemical paint remover is best because of its corrosiveness. The chemical will loosen the rim’s paint.
- You can find several excellent chemical paint removers on the market. Ensure you get the best for effective results.
- After spraying, wait until the paint soaks into the rim. This may take up to fifteen minutes.
- Brush them off or blast the surface with high-speed water when you have become certain that the paint is well dissolved.
- If the paints in some areas refuse to come off, apply the chemical paint remover on such areas and wait for it to soak in. Before doing that, allow the surface to dry.
Removing paints from rims yourself is a money-saver. You can save a few hundred bucks if you follow all the instructions to the latter. Additionally, you'll be saving yourself the stress and energy of going to service centers to get the paints removed.
How To Spray Paint Your Wheels the Right Way
Best Spray Paint for Rims (FAQs)
What is spray paint for wheels and rims?
Spray paint for wheels and rims are what car owners use to alter the color of their vehicles’ rims. Spray paints are also used to protect the wheels from scratches and dirt picked from the roads.
What is the best Air Compressor for spray painting?
The best air compressors for spray painting are Pancake Air Compressors. They have low profiles and are lightweight, making them perfect for various painting projects.
Another good Air Compressor is the hot dog air compressors. They are large and can handle massive painting projects.
How does spray paint for wheels and rims work?
Spray paint for wheels and rims work quite simply. Spray paints come in a can gun, and when you spray them, the chemicals inside the color stick to the rims' surfaces. Once they are dry, your rims appear in the fresh new coat of the paint color.
How do you get spray paint off a driveway?
Getting spray paint off a driveway requires some supplies like a firm-bristle brush, mild soap, power washer, paint thinner, and following effective cleaning techniques. However, you must discover how long the paint has been there to properly fashion out the best cleaning procedure.
What to look for in the best spray paint for wheels and rims?
When buying the best spray paint for wheels and rims, you need to look out for the color, drying time, rim material, ease of use, and brand. You also need to consider the number of cans to be used according to the rim's size.
Final Words & Recommendation
The best spray paint for rims isn't designed to enhance the beauty of the rim only. They are vital formulas that provide additional protection to the rims. For this reason, you need them if your rims start to wear out.
With the various options reviewed here, my team is certain that you've found the ideal option for your rims. These options are the best and will give you the utmost satisfaction.
Looking at the products, my team was most impressed with the performance of the Rust-Oleum 248927 Automotive High-Performance Wheel Spray Paint. This spray paint stood out in terms of durability and self-leveling capability.
My team also loves the spray paint because of its fast-drying nature and user-friendliness. I'd recommend the product to drivers looking for cost-effective, high-quality paint.
Due to its qualities, my team rates the product 4.9/5.
Are you interested in buying this spray paint? Click here!